Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bourbon Balls

Bourbon Balls can be made in several different ways. The most common that I found is with a soft interior, confectioner's sugar coating on the exterior, and a lot of bourbon all the way through...

There's no right or wrong way when it comes to fashioning the best bourbon ball. What I think separates good from wow, is the bourbon itself and of course the chocolate used! After a few taste tests, we've landed on a milk chocolate hard shell with a soft textured center. The intensity of bourbon flavor is about 7 out of 10. It's milder than some people are used to when they think of bourbon balls. I think the flavor should be a compliment to the chocolate not a distraction. One of my customers suggested we invest in a really good bourbon. I took them up on it and realized it does make our bourbon balls taste better. To add a finishing touch, pecans are surrounding the crown of the chocolate to give it good texture.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Altho I plan to make my own, I'd love to try a few of these when we're in Louisville for the holidays. Will you have these for the Christmas season?

Coco's Chocolate Cafe 1759 Bardstown Rd. said...

Yes, Barbara, we have them available now. Look forward to your visit!